Trauma has been defined as “anything less than nurturing;” this can include overt physical, emotional, or mental abuse or covert or benign abuse or neglect that is unintended. However, someone experiences trauma when a person or event threatens their life, safety, sanity, or integrity. This can come from either witnessing an event or experiencing it firsthand. Also, trauma causes complicated mental health issues because the effects of it may not be immediately apparent. Often shame accompanies the experience of trauma. Some people endure a traumatic event but do not realize how it impacts their emotions or behaviors until weeks, months, or years later. However, trauma always has a devastating impact on life and relationships. A trauma treatment program helps individuals to process, understand, and overcome the mental and physical issues that come with trauma. Integrative Life Center Trauma Treatment in Nashville, Tennessee offers a vast array of holistic and evidenced-based therapies in its trauma treatment program, giving individuals the best chance to heal and recover.
Your physical and mental reaction to deeply distressing or disturbing events overwhelming your ability to cope is evidence of trauma. When someone experiences trauma, they can feel helpless, lose their sense of self, and find their emotions shutdown or express emotions in wild extremes. No two individuals experience trauma in the same manner. However, there are some common types of trauma. For example, mental health professionals in our trauma treatment program frequently see:
- Abuse and assault including sexual, physical, and emotional mistreatment
- Serious accident
- Witnessing domestic violence
- School violence or shooting
- Natural and human-made disasters
- Forced displacement
- Grief and separation
These types of trauma can have severe mental health consequences. Often, individuals are unaware their trauma may be the cause of or exacerbating issues like substance abuse, depression, or PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Thus, it’s vital to seek out professional help at a trauma treatment program.
What a Trauma Treatment Program Offers
When treating trauma, there is a continuum of care designed to meet the needs of each patient. Because individuals are unique, and their experience of trauma is as well, treatment needs to be crafted to specific needs. Thus, we offer the following programs:
- Residential Treatment: Here, patients get around the clock supervision and support in a rural setting. Typically, a residential program lasts at least 30 days.
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): Patients in this program receive care at our urban facilities. It is designed as a step down from residential care but with the same level of structure and attention. Here the client begins to integrate into real life with support.
- Intensive Outpatient Program In-Person or Online (IOP): Some patients don’t require 24-hour care and have to structure their treatment around work and family responsibilities. In IOP, patients still get the same quality of care but in a condensed form around their schedule, usually either in the day or evening.
- Aftercare: Once treatment is complete, patients may still need help adjusting back to their everyday routines. Our aftercare makes sure clients have the resources they need when they experience triggers or have difficulty applying the coping mechanisms they learn in treatment. We recommend group therapy programs, community support, or alumni programs whether returning home, staying in ILC Support Continuum, or going to another program.
Integrative Life Center
If you have experienced a traumatic event in the past, you may have severe symptoms associated with it. Trauma can complicate and hinder your relationships, cause your work performance to suffer, and damage your interaction with your family. This is why it is so important to find help in a trauma treatment program. At Integrative Life Center, our compassionate and experienced counselors and therapists can determine the best treatment options for patients. Working together with patients and their referents, we offer comprehensive and customized care. Our trauma treatments in Nashville, TN help you manage and reduce the physical and emotional turmoil you have suffered from past trauma. For instance, some of the trauma-specific therapies we offer include:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive-behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Trauma-Informed Therapy
- Brainspotting Therapy
- Comprehensive Resource Model Therapy
These and numerous other therapeutic services give patients the resources they need to begin to heal the trauma in their life. If someone you know experiences trauma, help them find professional mental health care as soon as possible. A trauma treatment program can address mental health disorders, thoughts of self-harm or suicide, and help survivors thrive. So reach out today by calling 615.455.3903 to learn more.