While sex is a healthy and natural act, it can become something negative and damaging when it is done compulsively without regard for oneself or others. Often sex addiction or compulsive sexual behavior results from unresolved trauma or attachment wounds. The result is intimacy disorder or the inability to have healthy mutual relationships. Inappropriate or unhealthy sex is an attempt to self medicate emotional pain. When sex becomes an addiction it is impossible to experience connection. Instead, individuals struggling with sex addiction are unable to control their urges or behaviors. To get back to healthy sexuality, one that respects the self as well as others involved, requires professional support through a sex addiction treatment in Nashville, Tennessee at Integrative Life Center.
When sex becomes the focus of life, rather than relationships. Compulsive fantasies and irresponsible, if not dangerous behavior, in finding and engaging in sex consume them. Clients see their relationships fall apart because they cannot develop a connection that is deeper than the superficial. Sex addiction can be destructive. When sex becomes a preoccupation, and sex is primary, fantasy, grooming, and all interaction become the primary obsession.
Anyone single, in a relationship, or married as well as anyone of any sexuality or gender can suffer from sex addiction. It is a mental health disorder where sex is used as a coping mechanism to deal with loneliness, boredom, feeling powerless and it can be a symptom of depression. Some common warning signs and symptoms of sex addiction:
- Being preoccupied or unable to fulfill personal and professional obligations due to a constant craving for sex
- Compulsive masturbation, affairs or multiple infidelities
- Spending much of your time focused on sex-related activities, like searching for new sexual conquests or excessively visiting pornographic websites or seeking online hook-ups
- Continuing to engage in risky sexual behavior, despite a strong desire to stop because of the possible consequences
- Need to increase the intensity, frequency, or risk of sexual behaviors in order to achieve the same desired effects
In a sex addiction treatment program, clients learn how to heal the wounds that cause them to seek satisfaction in sex alone and develop healthier sexuality. This doesn’t mean shaming or judging an individual’s preferences. Instead, in Integrative Life Center’s program clients discover what drives the compulsion with sex and how they can return to experiencing sex as a healthy, mutually pleasurable experience.
Sex Addiction Treatment Program
The benefits of a sex addiction treatment program include discovering the driver as well as recognizing the dangers of sex addiction. There are severe physical, emotional, and spiritual dangers to leaving sex addiction untreated. For example, individuals will likely experience one or more of the following if they don’t seek out help:
- Health Risks: As sex addiction grows more and more risks are taken by the individual. This can result in unprotected sex and the transmission of diseases like HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, human papillomavirus, and syphilis. Some of these are treatable, others are life-threatening and all endanger others.
- Legal Consequences: Many illicit sexual activities are subject to legal consequences such as prostitution or sex with minors. Sex addiction can even lead to sexual assault and rape in extreme cases.
- Damage to Relationships: The inability to build true intimacy with others makes creating or maintaining relationships, whether sexual or not, extremely difficult. Sex addiction undermines trust and feeds on secrecy.
- Substance abuse: Often, individuals use drugs or alcohol to enhance the sexual experience or to deal with feelings of guilt, shame, and anger about their sexual behavior. This can lead to dependency further complicating and worsening the conditions.
Thus, the need for a sex addiction treatment program is clear. If you or a loved one is exhibiting signs of sex addiction, now is the time to get help.
Heal at Integrative Life Center
If you or a loved one is unable to curb sexual impulses and are harming, physically or emotionally, others, then a sex addiction treatment program is the first step towards recovery. You needn’t feel isolated or embarrassed. At Integrative Life Center we understand how overwhelmed you may be and strive to help with our sex addiction treatment in Nashville, TN. You may even have wanted to stop but have been unable to. Our counselors and therapists treat patients with compassion. Our comprehensive therapy options give all patients the best chance to identify, confront, and overcome their mental health issues. Some of our therapies include:
- Yoga therapy
- Psychodrama therapy
- Motivational interviewing therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
These therapies alongside many others give patients the support they need to develop healthier sexuality. Patients find more positive ways to cope with stress and anxiety. So reach out to us today at 615.455.3903 to explore how we can help you recover.